Connecting to our breath can be an accessible, immediate way to regain focus and calm over the course of our day.
Circle breathing is a simple tool you can use anytime, anywhere. Try a few minutes of this routine when you need to regroup and destress..
- Sit comfortably, with your legs and arms relaxed.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep, slow breaths.
- Now imagine creating a large circle with your breath.
- As you breath in slowly and gently, "draw" in your mind's eye one half of a circle up from the bottom of your belly to the top of your head.
- Hold your breath gently at the "top" of the circle, just as long as you are comfortable.
- Exhale slowly and gently, "drawing" the second half of the circle down from the top of your head back to the bottom of your belly.
- Continue breathing deeply, "drawing" large, round circles with your breath.