Here’s a quick and easy way to build a greater social network for those in your community this month. It doesn’t require much advance preparation, making it the perfect activity to spontaneously add to your calendar in celebration of Brain Awareness.
Foster new connections – both neuronal and communal — by offering a fun event that is good for everyone’s brains and spirits. Our “Speedy Social” fulfills two aspects of our TBH Blueprint for better brain fitness by challenging everyday thinking skills with a speeded task (“Sharpen Skills”) and creating more social connections (“Socialize”).
What is a “Speedy Social?” It’s a fun event where the goal is to meet as many new people as you can, as quickly as you can. Here’s how it works:
You Will Need:
- Timer or stopwatch
- Cards printed with the “Speedy Social” Questions
- Have folks gather in a large space where they can easily move around quickly.
- Let them know that they will be getting to meet a lot of new people.
- Start by asking them to find someone they don’t know and “pair up.” They will have just 3 minutes to “meet” each other by asking some of the following questions (they won’t have time to ask all of them and should pick 2-3 each time) – remind them to be sure to leave enough time for both of them to answer in those 3 minutes!
- What’s your name?
- Where’s the most exciting place you’ve traveled?
- What’s your favorite food?
- Can you sing a bit of a song from your childhood?
- What’s the last thing you forgot?
- Begin timing. After 3 minutes, call “time’s up!” and have everyone quickly switch partners and repeat the process.
- At the end of the hour wrap up with the opportunity for everyone to share what they learned about others that was surprising or fun, what they liked about the “Speedy Social” and – of course – the chance to exchange contact information if they would like!